The principal of the Carletonville creche that is the subject of videos showing the beating of a toddler, says she did not know about the alleged abuse.
Speaking to the SABC, her lawyer Danie van Zyl said the owner had no knowledge of the video or the abuse.
Van Zyl says, “She did not have any idea the children were assaulted. One parent says she told her last year that her child cried every morning when taken to school and came home with bruises and she told the mom she was imagining the bruises on the child. My instruction is that there has been no previous information on that. That incident I cannot verify at all.”
Police have confirmed that the woman seen on the videos was arrested two weeks ago and is currently out on bail.
She is due back in court next month.
Gauteng Social Development MEC Nandi Mayathula-Khoza closed the creche on Thursday after it was found to operate illegally.
The creche’s temporary permit expired in 2016.
Related videos below
The post Carletonville creche principal denies knowledge of alleged abuse appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..