WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT
The bail application of a Welkom man accused of killing his girlfriend has been postponed to next Thursday.
Nineteen-year-old Obed Leshoro was arrested after the mutilated body of 21-year-old Naledi Lethoba was found in an open field in May.
Fellow students were united in anger.
They accuse the justice system of failing the Lethoba family. Court proceedings started, with some family members still outside.
“We are not happy that some family members were not allowed in court. We want justice in the case. We want to see the court concluding,” says Molefi Nyakane, Naledi’s grandfather.
“We believe that we are being failed as SASCO by the court. We don’t know whether it’s the Magistrate’s Court or the justice system because the family of Naledi, may her soul rest in peace, has been left out of court,” says Paballo Khamadi, SASCO regional leader.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says there was limited space in court.
“Other students were prevented from entering the court room because of space,” says Phaladi Shuping, Free State NPA Spokesperson.
The Goldfields TVET College student’s partially burnt body had several stab wounds and a knife was lodged in her neck. Her breasts had been cut off.
“We confirm that the accused had previously announced his intention not to apply for bail but he has made an about turn,” according to Phaladi Shuping, Free State NPA Spokesperson.
The motive for the murder is unknown. Tensions remain high in the mining town.
The post Naledi Lethoba case postponed appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..