Eastern Cape Transport MEC Weziwe Tikana-Gxothiwe has sent messages of condolences to the families of the five people who died in a crash in Mthatha earlier on Wednesday.
It’s alleged that 20 people, mostly hawkers returning to Port Elizabeth from Durban, were travelling in a midi-bus which collided with a truck in the Mthatha CBD around 03:00 this morning.
Five died instantly while 15 others were injured and taken to the Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital.
Transport Spokesperson Unathi Binqose says the officials are investigating the cause of the crash.
Head of Public Safety at the King Sabata Dalindyebo Municipality Tshepo Machaea says the truck plunged into a nearby shop and caused some damage.
“Since 03:00 the road was closed. That on its own proves that the impact was very high and the damage done to the shop was very bad. At this stage, one can say that we do have speeding cameras around Mthatha that are assisting us a lot to deter offending motorists,” Machaea says.
Machaea adds that those who do not obey the rules of the road will be prosecuted.
The post MEC sends condolences to families following Mthatha crash appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..