The new chairman of the Southern Kings, Loyiso Dotwana and his board have identified some of the immediate challenges facing the Guinness Pro 14 franchise.
Kings are the first predominantly black rugby franchise in the country. They own 74 % from SA Rugby and the remaining 26% belongs to Eastern Province Rugby Union.
Speaking at the stakeholder’s conference in Port Elizabeth on Thursday night, Dotwana says the Kings would be run on business principles.
He added that they also need to mobilise financial resources and also beef the coaching team.
“I think you guys you are aware, you have been following the game, you have been following the Kings. We lack depth in the coaching department, so our immediate task will be to strengthen the coaching structure and then third one is to strengthen the playing resources,” says Dotwana.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Sports, Thokozile Xasa, who attended the conference, says the takeover of the franchise by the consortium will play a big role in speeding up transformation in sport.
“The targets as you have been looking at the realisation of targets in terms of transformation will be boosted at ownership level. It will not end with this one. Look at border you will be looking for talent throughout the eastern cape which is the home of black rugby in South Africa,” says Xasa.
The post Dotwana and board identify challenges facing Guinness Pro 14 appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..