The National Union of Mineworkers (Num) has slammed the Public Enterprises Department for what it terms its failure to prevent retrenchments at Alexkor Joint Venture Mine in Alexander Bay in the Northern Cape.
The union says at least 190 mineworkers were retrenched last week. The mine is expected to cut more after incurring operational losses for the past two financial years.
The department owns 51% of the mine with the community owning the rest of the 49%.
“Why do they not adhere to their own commitments that if there are financial or operational challenges they will come on board and assist the mine? Despite the efforts of the mine, we are waiting for government to come and save the operations,” says the union’s April Maarman.
The post Num slams retrenchments at Alexkor Joint Venture Mine appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..